SOURCE: Nordics Info
by Thorsten Borring Olesen
Greenland has been and continues to be a vital strategic asset, not least to the US - and perhaps even more so due to the possible effects of climate change.
SOURCE: NY Times
Greenland officials have rebuffed President Trump’s plan to buy the island, but the United States has a history of purchasing lands from other countries.
SOURCE: Baltimore Sun
by Jonathan Zimmerman
An imagined week in the real estate scheming of our tweeter in chief.
SOURCE: The Conversation
Before Trump eyed Greenland: Here’s what happened last time the US bought a large chunk of the Arctic
by William L. Iggiagruk Hensley
With a stroke of a pen, Tsar Alexander II ceded Alaska, his country’s last remaining foothold in North America, to the United States for US$7.2 million.
SOURCE: Scientific American
Climate change is already rotting archaeological sites in the Arctic, and Norse Viking-era settlements are at high risk
SOURCE: The Conversation
Greenland is part of the Kingdom of Denmark, and the Danes were not pleased.
New archaeological research hints at a new reason for Vikings’ Greenland occupation.
SOURCE: BBC News
New data from Greenland ice cores suggest North America may have suffered a large cosmic impact about 12,900 years ago.A layer of platinum is seen in ice of the same age as a known abrupt climate transition, US scientists report.The climate flip has previously been linked to the demise of the North American "Clovis" people.The data seem to back the idea that an impact tipped the climate into a colder phase, a point of current debate.Rapid climate change occurred 12,900 years ago, and it is proposed that this is associated with the extinction of large mammals - such as the mammoth, widespread wildfires and rapid changes in atmospheric and ocean circulation....
SOURCE: World Archaeology
The mystery of what happened to Greenland’s Norse population is one step closer to being solved, as new evidence suggests that the colony did not die out because its inhabitants were unable to adapt to their new environment.
- Trump administration says joint UNC, Duke Middle East Studies program portrays Islam too positively
- What White Kids Learn About Race in School
- Frederick Douglass photos smashed stereotypes. Could Elizabeth Warren selfies do the same?
- Chronicling New York’s Muslim History
- New Documents Illuminate The University of Texas’s Secret Strategy to Keep Out Black Students
- Women Scientists Were Written Out of History. It’s Margaret Rossiter’s Lifelong Mission to Fix That
- Allen C. Guelzo Reviews Sidney Blumenthal's Latest Installment of His Biography of Lincoln
- What Reconstruction-Era Laws Can Teach Our Democracy: The NY Times Reviews Eric Foner's Latest Book
- Should historians read their own book?
- Cokie Roberts, Pioneering Journalist Who Helped Shape NPR, Dies At 75