SOURCE: NY Daily News
by Jonathon Zimmerman
The reactions to this latest episode smack of a different kind of conspiracy, which historians should both recognize and resist: the conspiracy of silence.
SOURCE: NY Times
by Barbara Ransby
We should not become historical peeping Toms by trafficking in what amounts to rumor and innuendo.
SOURCE: Politico Magazine
by David Greenberg
A new trove of FBI records has become yet another political weapon in our hyper-partisan age. That doesn’t mean we should ignore it.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Howell Raines
An illuminating ook review of Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s “Stony the Road: Reconstruction, White Supremacy, and the Rise of Jim Crow.”
by M. Andrew Holowchak
Johns was a critical figure in the push for racial equality, chiefly because he was not merely a pusher, but also a shover.
by HNN Staff
How historians can be inspired by remembering the radical and realist Dr. King.
by William Lambers
Few people know Dr. King was also an activist for nuclear disarmament and urged peace during the Cold War nuclear arms race.
SOURCE: The Root
David Oyelowo Says Steven Spielberg Wants Him to Reprise Martin Luther King Jr. Role in Upcoming Biopic
After starring as Martin Luther King Jr. in Ava DuVernay’s critically acclaimed movie Selma, David Oyelowo revealed in a recent interview that Steven Spielberg is trying to get him to reprise his role as the civil rights leader.
by Peter Eisenstadt
"A few years ago I found some correspondence that I thought might have profoundly altered the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. thereby redirecting the course of American and world history."
Review of "Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party" by Joshua Bloom and Waldo E. Martin, Jr.
by Ron Briley
Bloom and Martin have produced a fascinating and comprehensive political history of the BPP, essentially told from the party’s perspective, which will certainly draw criticism from those contesting the violence and political legacy of the party.
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Russian Historian Professor, Found With Bag of Severed Arms, Admits He Killed Student
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"
- When Southern Historians Made History Themselves