SOURCE: New York Times
Margaret Atwood, Héctor Tobar, Thomas Mallon and Brenda Wineapple on older political novels they admire that have a lot to say about the world today.
by David B. Parker
Marian Sims's 1942 historical novel Beyond Surrender was not nearly as popular as Gone with the Wind. But it reminds us today of a history that might have been--both during Reconstruction and in the popular portrayal of the period.
by LuAnn McCracken Fletcher
As promoters of Scotland as a tourist destination continue to embrace “tartan heritage” in an effort to support Scotland’s important tourist industry, they unwittingly reinforce a version of history that serves the purpose of political propaganda, rather than disseminating a nuanced understanding of Scotland’s past.
SOURCE: The Guardian
A new biography reveals the Marxist intellectual asked the author why MI5 man in A Perfect Spy had a name so like his own.
by Beverly Gologorsky
It's all about social class.
Jim Cullen, who teaches at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School in New York, is a book review editor at HNN. His new book, Sensing the Past: Hollywood Stars and Historical Visions, was recently published by Oxford University Press. Cullen blogs at American History Now.How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia solidifies Mohsin Hamid's claim as a major contemporary novelist. It showcases what have become a familiar set of gifts, among them a compelling voice, a keen feel for structure, and, given his literary sensibility, a surprisingly efficient narrative drive. Like his two previous books, Moth Smoke (2000) and The Reluctant Fundamentalist (2007), this one is brief. And yet in the space of less than 230 small pages he renders an entire life that seems simultaneously rich in detail and resonant as a fable.
- New PBS Documentary on New York Gossip Columnist Walter Winchell
- Northam Calls for VMI Investigation after Black Cadets Describe Relentless Racism
- After Chicago 7 Trial, Mrs. Jean Fritz Helped Change the Course of History
- Despite Everything, People Still Have Weddings at ‘Plantation’ Sites
- Why Do Witches Ride Brooms? The History Behind the Legend
- John Brown And Abraham Lincoln: Divergent Paths In The Fight To End Slavery (audio)
- "White Supremacy" Once Meant David Duke and the Klan. Now it Refers to Much More
- A Look At The Long History Of Latino Republicans
- American Historical Association Announces 2020 Prize Winners
- How Saidiya Hartman Retells the History of Black Life