SOURCE: The National (UAE)
Investing in Energy and Projects Helped Pave the Way Out of the Great Depression: It Can Now Help Build a Greener World
The convergence of the climate crisis and the COVID emergency means that governments should invest now in the infrastructure needed to speed the transition to a carbon-free energy system.
SOURCE: The New York Times
Coronavirus in the Navajo Nation exposes underlying vulnerabilities.
by Jon Wiener
Credit: Wiki Commons.At a book festival in Los Angeles recently, some writers (myself included) were making the usual arguments about the problems with American politics in the 1950s -- until one panelist shocked the audience by declaring, “God, I miss the Cold War.” His grandmother, he said, had come to California from Oklahoma with a grade-school education, but found a job in an aerospace factory in L.A. during World War II, joined the union, got healthcare and retirement benefits, and prospered in the Cold War years. She ended up owning a house in the suburbs and sending her kids to UCLA.Several older people in the audience leaped to their feet shouting, “What about McCarthyism?” “The bomb?” “Vietnam?” “Nixon?”
- Vaughn Davis Bornet, 1917-2020
- In this Pennsylvania Town, Racism "was Quiet." Then Trump Stoked Fears of Violence
- Premiere: Mississippi Justice
- Medieval Europeans Didn’t Understand how the Plague Spread. Their Response Wasn’t so Different from Ours Now
- Lincoln, Adams and George W Bush: The 6 Most Disputed Presidential Elections in American History