Historians Condemn Trump for "Brazenly Sabotaging" the Electoral ProcessHistorians in the News
tags: Donald Trump, 2020 Election
A group of prominent American historians added their voice on Monday to the debate about President Trump’s effort to overturn the election, decrying what they called an undemocratic bid to unravel a free and fair vote that has no historical precedent in the long annals of the United States.
“Never before in our history has a president who lost re-election tried to stay in office by subverting the democratic process set down by the Constitution,” the historians said in a statement. “That is what President Trump has been doing since November 3, when a strong electoral majority of Americans chose Joseph R. Biden to be the 46th president of the United States.”
The historians’ statement pointed out that the 2020 election was not even particularly close in historical terms. Mr. Biden won as many or more Electoral College votes as the winning candidates in five elections since 1960 and larger popular majorities than in more than half of the presidential elections held in the last six decades.
“Yet in none of these elections did any losing candidate attempt to claim victory by brazenly sabotaging the electoral process as Donald Trump has done and continues to do,” said the letter, organized by Douglas Brinkley of Rice University and Sean Wilentz of Princeton University.
comments powered by Disqus
- These Portraits Revolutionized the Way Queer Women Were Seen in the 1970s
- “Decades in the Making”: How Mainstream Conservatives & Right-Wing Money Fueled the Capitol Attack
- What the FBI Had on Grandpa
- Franco: Melilla Enclave Removes Last Statue of Fascist Dictator on Spanish Soil
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti Obituary
- For Many, an Afro isn’t Just a Hairstyle
- With Free Medical Clinics and Patient Advocacy, the Black Panthers Created a Legacy in Community Health That Still Exists Amid COVID-19
- With a Touch of Wisdom: Human Rights, Memory, and Forgetting
- New Exhibit Reckons With Glendale's Racist Past as ‘Sundown Town'
- The Broken System: What Comes After Meritocracy?