Zoom Webinar: Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor Discusses "Race for Profit," May 19, 4:30 PM CDTHistorians in the News
tags: unions, racism, books, segregation, African American history, housing, Lectures
CTU President Jesse Sharkey will moderate this book talk on Race For Profit: How Banks and the Real Estate Industry Undermined Black Homeownership (UNC Press) by Keeanga-Yamahtta Taylor. The event is sponsored by the CTU Housing Committee and the CTU Human Rights Committee.
Race for Profit exposes the dire impact on African Americans resulting from the 1968 changes to federal housing policy in response to urban rebellions. Also on the agenda: how to fight for the housing needs of students and their families during COVID-19.
High School teachers are welcome to invite students and use it as a remote learning session. The Housing Committee can share curricular resources if teachers want to introduce housing issues to their students.
comments powered by Disqus
- Bob Murray, Who Fought Against Black Lung Regulations As A Coal Operator, Has Filed For Black Lung Benefits
- A Pro-Trump Militant Group Has Recruited Thousands of Police, Soldiers, and Veterans
- An Appeal to the HNN Community: Help Longtime Supporter and Contributor Ron Steinman
- Washington History Seminar 10/2: Gambling with Armageddon: Nuclear Roulette from Hiroshima to the Cuban Missile Crisis, 1945-1962
- Smithsonian Taps N.Y. Cultural Director To Lead African American Museum
- With Evictions Looming, Cities Revisit a Housing Experiment From the ’70s (video)
- Stephen Wertheim's "Tomorrow the World: The Birth of US Global Supremacy" (video)
- Catholic University of America Presents Geraldo Cadava on "The Hispanic Republican"
- OAH Statement on White House Conference on American History
- The Joke’s on Us