A 200-Foot Section of the Berlin Wall Has Been Torn Down to Make Way for Condos, Leaving Historians AppalledBreaking News
tags: Cold War, Communism, historic preservation, BERLIN WALL
The German capital has many ruins that bear witness to its tumultuous history. Stretches of the Berlin Wall are preserved as a reminder of the pain wrought by political division during the Cold War, but a piece of that memory has disappeared overnight to make way for new apartments.
Historians are furious that an almost 200-foot (around 60-meter) stretch of the graffiti covered barrier has been demolished in Pankow, a borough in the northeastern part of Berlin. The Berlin Wall Foundation says it was not been informed about the removal, according to Der Taggespiegel. The foundation’s curator Manfred Wichmann told the paper that the lost piece was “a stone witness of how deeply the border regime of the German Democratic Republic intervened in the everyday life of the people in East Berlin.”
The lost section was part of the Hinterlandmauer, meaning inner wall section, that was installed in the 1970s, reinforcing the barrier first erected in 1961. This particular strip ran along a railway line that went between Berlin and the Polish border city of Szczecin; it served as an added protection against any refugees who managed to slip past the main border wall.
Last November marked the 30th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Amid citywide commemorative events, the Berlin Wall Foundation and the GDR Museum announced that they were working to ensure that this Pankow remnant of the wall was preserved. Though not as obviously remarkable as the East Side Gallery or Bernauerstrasse, this particular section was one of the largest pieces that remained.
comments powered by Disqus
- Hank Aaron's Lasting Impact is Measured in More than Home Runs
- Hank Aaron's 715th, Called by Vin Scully
- Washington Must Treat White Supremacist Terrorism as a Transnational Threat
- Charlottesville Inspired Biden to Run. Now It Has a Message for Him
- Biden Revokes Trump Report Promoting "Patriotic Education"
- How Tuskegee Airmen Fought Military Segregation With Nonviolent Action
- What the History of the Ku Klux Klan Can Teach Us about the Capitol Riot
- Reconstruction Era Expert On Why Politicians Use Terms Unity And Healing
- The COVID-19 Vaccination Drive May be Slow—But it’s Already Faster than Any in History
- Operation Desert Shirt