Brexit will ultimately destabilise Europe, historians fearBreaking News
tags: historians, Brexit
A survey of all national weekday newspaper and TV-news general election coverage shows that, so far, only around 3 per cent of Brexit-related news content mentions how a UK departure from the EU may affect future European stability and security.
“Despite the fact that it is, without doubt, one of the most important Brexit-related issues, it remains the unacknowledged ‘elephant in the room’ in this so-called Brexit election,” says British-media expert Professor David Deacon, of Loughborough University’s Centre for Research in Communication and Culture, which is carrying out the survey.
Experts on European politics and history are shocked by the imbalance in the media coverage – and are warning of the probably consequences.
“Given our history, we know that failures in European solidarity and stability have had terrible consequences,” says Professor Beatrice Heuser, chair of international relations at the University of Glasgow.
comments powered by Disqus
- James E. Hinton’s Unseen Films Reframe the Black Power Movement
- Rimbaud and Verlaine: France Agonises over Digging up Gay Poets
- Would Biden or Trump End America's Forever Wars?
- Weaken the Presidency—Even If Biden Wins
- The Story Behind Amy Coney Barrett’s Little-Known Christian Group People Of Praise