Historian Jon Meacham: Trump now with Andrew Johnson as 'most racist president in American history'Roundup
tags: racism, Jon Meacham, Andrew Jackson, Trump
Presidential historian Jon Meacham said Monday that President Trump's latest attacks against a group of minority congresswomen placed him alongside former President Andrew Johnson as the "most racist president in American history."
"What the president’s done here is yet again, because I think he did it after Charlottesville, and I think he did it frankly when he was pushing the birther lie about President Obama, is he has joined Andrew Johnson as the most racist president in American history," Meacham, who has written biographies on past presidents Thomas Jefferson and George H.W. Bush, said on MSNBC's "Hardball."
Meacham described the 17th president's history with racism, noting that Johnson once said in a state message that "African Americans were incapable of self government and relapsed into barbarism if they weren’t closely supervised."
The historian drew the parallels between Trump and Johnson one day after Trump targeted four freshman House lawmakers, saying that they should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came" before speaking out about how the United States government should be run.
comments powered by Disqus
- H.R. McMaster on Trump's White House and American National Security (Video)
- Trump's Praise of Robert E. Lee Gets Pushback from Minnesotans Proud of State's Role at Gettysburg
- Why The Supreme Court Ended Up With Nine Justices—And How That Could Change
- Black and White Polk Pastors Overcome Racism in Show of Forgiveness and Grace
- Robert S. Graetz, Rare White Minister to Back Bus Boycott, Dies at 92
- Look What Has Been Taken From Black Americans
- Watching “Watchmen” as a Descendant of the Tulsa Race Massacre
- The Harvard Community Reflects on the Legacy of Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- TODAY: Eric Weitz "A World Divided: The Global Struggle for Human Rights in the Age of Nation-States"
- Russian Police Detain History Professor After Protest