Bolsonaro Takes Aim at Brazil’s HistoryBreaking News
tags: history, Brazil, Bolsonaro
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has long declared war on the news media. His next target is more ambitious—history.
He has denied that Portuguese colonizers were responsible for slavery here and blamed Africans instead. He has rejected that the 1964-1985 military dictatorship, which he served, was actually a dictatorship. In Israel this month, he said that the Nazis were “without doubt” leftists.
“I have the truth on my side,” Mr. Bolsonaro said in a recent television interview, explaining why he called on the armed forces last month to commemorate the anniversary of Brazil’s 1964 coup that ended democratic rule.
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘Lock me up’: The last man to be arrested for defying Congress during an investigation
- Faith made Harriet Tubman fearless as she rescued slaves
- A Turkish dam is about to flood one of the oldest continuously settled places on Earth
- Soldiers got Medals of Honor for massacring Native Americans. This bill would take them away.
- UNC Will Give Silent Sam to a Confederate Group — Along With a $2.5-Million Trust