History professor’s constant "dumb blonde" remarks forced me to dye my hair, claims Stony Brook student in lawsuitHistorians in the News
tags: sexism, Stony Brook University, Erin Mosier, Sexual Discrimination
An ex-Stony Brook University student says her undergraduate advisor called her a “dumb blonde” so often that she became a brunette just to shut him up.
Erin Mosier, 24, made the claim in a Manhattan federal court lawsuit that accuses Stony Brook history professor Larry Frohman — who was her teacher and academic advisor — of sexually discriminating against her.
“You have to prove to me you are not just an airhead dumb blonde with a pretty face,” Frohman once told Mosier in front of the student’s mother, the lawsuit said.
“Can you get through all of your blonde?” Frohman told Mosier once when she asked him to explain an issue after class, the lawsuit claims.
Frohman’s repeated remarks about Mosier’s brassy locks made her “so uncomfortable with her appearance that she changed her hair color from blonde to brown,” according to the Manhattan federal court. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Archivist and bookseller plead guilty to pilfering $8M in rare texts from Carnegie Library
- The chief justice who presided over the first presidential impeachment trial thought it was political spectacle
- Hundreds of Britons Volunteered for a Diary-Keeping Project in 1937. They Left an Invaluable Record of World War II
- Fact check: After Pearl Harbor, Japanese didn't invade US because they feared armed citizens?
- How Political Divides Shape U.S. History Lessons
- AHA Encourages History Departments to Provide Full Library Access to Alumni and to Unaffiliated Historians in their Regions
- Clayborne Carson Interviewed by World Socialist Web Site on 1619 Project
- “A staggering tour de force – but an opportunity missed”: a historian’s review of the film 1917
- NY Journal of Books Reviews Wilmington's Lie: The Murderous Coup of 1898 and the Rise of White Supremacy
- AHA Enrollment Study Finds History Enrollments Hold Study as Department Efforts Intensify