Germany sued for reparations over colonial-era genocide in NamibiaBreaking News
tags: Germany, genocide, Namibia
Germany is facing a court case in the US and demands for reparations over a forgotten genocide in Africa that is seen as a precursor to the Holocaust.
Representatives of the Herero and Nama peoples have filed a class action lawsuit to demand reparations for the systematic massacre of some 100,000 of their forebears between 1904 and 1908.
The attempted extermination of Namibia’s Herero and Nama communities by German colonial troops is widely regaded as the first genocide of the 20th century.
comments powered by Disqus
- Watching 'Chernobyl': How Important Are Visuals for Understanding History?
- The Surprising Things Arctic Ice Can Tell Us About Human History
- 'History on a stick’ signs disappearing too fast to keep up
- Colin Palmer, Historian of the African Diaspora, Is Dead at 75
- What and Whom Are Jewish Museums For?