Queen Elizabeth II Set to Become Longest Reigning UK MonarchBreaking News
tags: UK, monarch, Queen Elizabeth II
She has lived longer than any of her predecessors, seen a dozen prime ministers come and go and presided over six decades of British history - from postwar recovery to the death of Princess Diana and terror attacks on London.
Now Queen Elizabeth II is set to become the longest reigning monarch in British history. On Wednesday, she beats the record set by her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria - 63 years and 7 months - more than a century ago. Only four other British kings and queens have reigned 50 years or more.
"You have to be a certain age to remember a time when she wasn't the queen," said royal historian and commentator Hugo Vickers.
comments powered by Disqus
- Boston Refused to Close Schools During the 1918 Flu. Then Children Began to Die
- Trump Won’t Win by Doubling-Down on his Racist Appeals but the Right’s Open Bigotry Comes at a Cost
- What to Stream: A Blazing Interview with Orson Welles By Richard Brody
- Trump’s Attack on the Postal Service Is a Threat to Democracy—and to Rural America
- Kamala Harris and the Growing Political Power of Black Women
- The Harvard Professor Who Told the World That Jesus Had a Wife (Review)
- For Black Suffragists, the Lens Was a Mighty Sword
- In Women’s Suffrage, a Spotlight for Unsung Pioneers
- A Powerful New Memorial To UVA’s Enslaved Workers Reclaims Lost Lives And Forgotten Narratives
- Unearthing New Histories of Black Appalachia (Review)