Archaeologists mount search for lost French fleet of 1565Breaking News
tags: Florida, Jean Ribault
A team of archaeologists unveiled plans Thursday for an oceangoing expedition to find the lost French fleet of Jean Ribault, which sank 449 years ago in a history-changing hurricane off Florida’s Atlantic coast.
And they have a pretty good idea where to look.
Period French artifacts found in the early 1970s on a remote beach at Canaveral National Seashore provide proof that Ribault’s shipwrecked men were there — likely not too far from their ruined ships, which they scavenged for materials.
comments powered by Disqus
- Alabama's State Archives Confronts Its Racist Past
- Alumni Blitz for the Liberal Arts
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg had to Leave America to See how Unfairly it Treated Women
- “The White Man Who Stayed” Tells A Story Of Activism During The Civil Rights Era (audio)
- U.K. Conservation Society Details Links to Colonialism and Slavery