Chernobyl’s Hot Mess, “the Elephant’s Foot,” Is Still LethalBreaking News
tags: Chernobyl, nuclear waste
300 seconds will produce a relatively quick death, which is better than many alternatives.
After just 30 seconds of exposure, dizziness and fatigue will find you a week later. Two minutes of exposure and your cells will soon begin to hemorrhage; four minutes: vomiting, diarrhea, and fever. 300 seconds and you have two days to live.
the fall of 1986, the emergency crews fighting to contain the nuclear
disaster at Chernobyl made it into a steam corridor beneath failed
reactor Number 4. Inside this chamber they found black lava that had
oozed straight from the core. The most famous formation was a solid flow
that their radiation sensors firmly told them not to approach. With
cameras pushed in from around a corner, the workers dubbed the dimly lit
mass “the Elephant’s Foot.” According to readings taken at the time, the still hot portion of molten core put out enough radiation to give a lethal dose in 300 seconds.
The Elephant’s Foot could be the most dangerous piece of waste in the world....
comments powered by Disqus
- 5 Ways to Rebuild Labor and Transform America
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- National Museum of African American History and Culture Releases “Talking About Race” Web Portal
- Why Teachers, Not Reformers, Should “Reimagine Education”
- COVID, Race, and a Pivotal Moment for America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea