Old Arabic texts describe 'filthy' VikingsBreaking News
tags: Vikings, Arab world, Norsemen, ancient texts
"They are the filthiest of all Allah’s creatures: they do not purify themselves after excreting or urinating or wash themselves when in a state of ritual impurity after coitus and do not even wash their hands after food."
The Arab writer Ahmad ibn Fadlan noted the above after meeting Viking travellers around a thousand years ago.
The Icelandic historian Thorir Jonsson Hraundal has studied comments about what we call Vikings in original texts by Arab historians and geographers. The texts described Arab encounters with Scandinavians in areas around the Caspian Sea and the Volga River.
Their depictions differ radically from images of fearsome Viking conquerors handed down from the British Isles and France in the same era....
comments powered by Disqus
- Smithsonian Taps N.Y. Cultural Director To Lead African American Museum
- Unredacted FBI Document Sheds New Light on White Supremacist Infiltration of Law Enforcement
- America Is About to Enter its Years of Lead
- The forgotten alliance between Black activists and China
- Harry Reid on the Senate, the Supreme Court, and a Time for Major Change